Be part of the buffer solution
If you love our river, join us in protecting the James by volunteering to help plant with the James River Buffers program.
Tree Planting Program
- Volunteers are needed to plant seedlings in the middle and upper James River Watershed.
- All tools and instruction will be provided and you will be working alongside our staff to install native tree seedlings.
- All ages are welcome, but youth under age 18 should have a parent or guardian present.
- Participants will need to be comfortable being outside for several hours, traverse uneven ground, and handle a good amount of walking.
Riparian Stewards Program
The first 3 years after a forest buffer is planted are critical to ensure their health and survival, which is why we offer assistance during that time to landowners who install buffers through the James River Buffer Program.
- Be part of a community of environmental specialists and gain access to information on topics such as native plant ID, and invasive plant management.
- JRA will provide all the tools, equipment, and materials necessary for these buffer maintenance days.